Saturday, September 08, 2007

This Moment

I may never see tomorrow; there's no written guarantee,
And things that happened yesterday belong to history.
I cannot predict the future, and I cannot change the past.
I have just the present moment; I must treat it as my last.

I must use this moment wisely for it soon will pass away,
And be lost to me forever as a part of yesterday.
I must exercise compassion, help the fallen to their feet,
Be a friend unto the friendless, make an empty life complete.

I must make this moment precious for it will not come again,
Kind words I fail to say this day may ever be unsaid.
For I know not how short may be the path that lies ahead.

The unkind things I do today may never be undone,
And friendships that I fail to win may nevermomre be won.
I may not have another chance on bended knee to pray,
And thank my God with humble heart for giving me this day.

I may never see tomorrow, but this moment is my own.
It's mine to us or cas aside; the choice is mine, alone.
I have just this precious moment in the sunlight of today,
Where the dawning of tomorrow meets the dusk of yesterday.

Paul F. Barnett from (Ideals) Inspiration Issue/1962

1 comments:

A J Doetkott said...

That is a very moving verse!

I am also enjoying the lovely works of art you have posted. (including your family!)