Wednesday, October 25, 2006

American Christmas? "no thanks"!

Lately I've been feeling pulled by God to quit accumulating. Gosh, and for someone who loves to thrift, and loves clothes, and jewelry, this is oh, quite difficult! I went into Patina a couple weeks ago, one of my favorite stores, and I just loved everything!
And now getting closer to Christmas, I always get addicted to buying more Christmas stuff!
I love the Martha Stewart section at K-mart. Every year I buy more wrapping paper and bows, and ornaments, you name it. Each year it seems like stuff gets prettier and prettier! It's like I can't resist it! It's like I say to myself "if I could just have that I would feel better, I really have to have it". Its the same thing year after year.
Since I've had Christ in my life I have seen some change in the addiction to the "American Christmas", and consumerism. But God is wanting more out of me. If anyone and everyone can and will do what I just mentioned above, how am I any different, and God commands me to be different. To not look like the world? It's just so hard!
I've been reading through Isaiah, and last nite I read this verse that just resonated. Isaiah 2:20, "In that day men will throw away to the rodents and bats their idols of silver and idols of gold, which they made to worship". I thought to myself, I do not as a Christian, want that to be a part of what anyone would think or say about my life. It isn't what I would want for my life in the Lord. It isn't what I want God to think of me first and foremost. I want to worship God, not stuff, and I wantthat to be prominent. Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing, nothing wrong with shopping or buying any of those things I mentioned, I just don't want to be sucked into it year after year, at Christmas time. I have more than I could possibly ever want or need. I think the only need I really have anymore at all is water and food, and shelter. I am set for life I have so much. I could give away half of what I have and still be set.
So my vow to God and to others, is that I will not get pulled into consumerism this year, or even the after Christmas sales! For me, I feel I am being tugged to stay away, don't give in! I put it this way last nite when I was reading:
I want to live in the most sacrificial way I can, and that usually comes when the toughest, boring est choices and ways of living are made. Not giving into the way and the things I want-make those sacrifices-even though it's hard. Don't do what you'd rather do! Live without. Resist. Be a living sacrifice for the Lord, (Eph 5:2).

3 comments:

A J Doetkott said...

Hey sweetie, I agree, I have enough I couldn't possibly need more. (except pants that fit me?)

Reinvent: decorate your gifts and home with things you have already but in a different way and you'll feel all new and sparkly for the season!

Anonymous said...

i need more blog posts...where the heck is NOVEMBER??????

A J Doetkott said...

Hey sweets - I am about to check out pics from your trip. I hope you blog about the experience!