Monday, September 22, 2008

Helps A School



I was trying to think of a savvy Native American name title for this short article, but all I could come up with was "Helps A School". 


Anyway, I helped a school a few months back in South Dakota. It's called St. Joseph's Indian School, www.stjo.org

I was inspired by the watching the movie, 'Dances With Wolves'! Wow, I know it's an older movie by now, but I had never seen it and man is it beautiful or what??? ALL I could think about for MONTHS (and still do), are the Indians and how rude and wrong it was of us to do what we did to them. I know that sounds so simple, but it's the honest heart of it. I am so heart broken for what happened.

Anyway, I started to become obsessed with like the stuff I'd see that the Indians made--like in local shops and stuff. I really wanted to support them and give back. 
We were at the Mall of America, and they have a whole store that is all Indian stuff! I was in heaven! I didn't buy anything but what I really wanted was this thing the Indians make that they call a "Dream Catcher". 

So anyway, I  donated to this school. I think I sent just a small amount of money, but boy, were they appreciative! And let me tell you how I know.

The other day I went to get my mail and there was this package that was addressed to me. I couldn't figure out what it could be because I didn't recognize the sender. But what was inside was the most exciting thing!!!

It was a package from the school I helped out--and inside was the gift of address labels, stickers (like pretty ones), 2 different note pads with leafs on them, a certificate with my name on it in recognition of,  AND best of all-A DREAM CATCHER! I LOVE it. I freaked! 

I was so excited I was running around the house showing my family, "You'll never guess what I got? Look, look--it's one of those dream catchers!"

It now hangs from my mirror in my car--I am so proud of it--

So I thought I was blessing someone by my gift of giving, but as usual, the receiver always ends up blessing me:)

P.S. Another flag discussion: I actually saw an American Flag with an Indians face on it at my daughter's school---how cool is that? I want one of those flags!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had one over my bed for years. It has history from friends, so much good will lives there. :-) Timothy